Windows support has grown rapidly in recent times, however with the support for Linux distro directly within Windows is the game changer. Having full blown Ubuntu replacing your old cmd is a breath of fresh air and you will suddenly have lot of resources open up for you with many dependencies getting resolved much more easily.
- Installation instructions for WSL on Windows 10
- Ubuntu on windows
- WSL2 for windows insider versions
- VSCode and WSL integration
Once you have ubuntu 18.04 running on your windows you can proceed to install the basic build tools and libraries that will be required for all other AWS tools.
- Build Tools
sudo apt update sudo apt upgrade sudo apt-get install build-essential git
Mac’s foundation is very strong with unix interface and widespread support for all development tools. However there are still many other packages that will make your dev environment on mac very efficient. we have included few popular guides below.
- AWS cli – AWS command line interface is a pre-requisite for most of our workshops. Install it for Ubuntu or Mac
- AWS Amplify cli
- AWS SAM cli
- AWS Cloud9 – Online IDE based in AWS and no need to install anything locally.
- Cloud9 IDE is based on Amazon Linux (similar to CentOS) and so you can install linux tools/libraries etc.. as required.
- Cloud9 Tutorial